Skip navigation

The Northumbria Undergraduate UK Scholarship 2021/22

The Northumbria Undergraduate UK Scholarship 2021/22

This information is for UK/Home students applying to study at Northumbria University on a Full-Time Undergraduate course in the academic year 2021/22.

At Northumbria, we are passionate about helping you achieve your goals and tackle the challenges of tomorrow head on.  This prestigious scholarship will bring together our inspirational courses, innovative staff and academically gifted students, like yourself, to create a better future and #TakeOnTomorrow.

Successful students will be awarded a £3,500 cash scholarship during the first year of study.  All eligible self-funded students studying on one of the below Full-Time Undergraduate courses* will be considered and will be automatically notified.  Up to five students can be awarded the scholarship in each subject.

Terms and conditions

To be eligible for the Northumbria Undergraduate Scholarship you must:

  • Be a UK/Home applicant (Home includes UK students and those eligible to pay home fees)
  • Achieve at least 144 points (or equivalent) from your best three qualifications, for example AAA at A Level or DDD at BTEC
  • Apply and enrol to study on a Full-Time Undergraduate course at the Newcastle Upon Tyne campus, starting in September 2021
  • Choose Northumbria as your firm choice by 03 June 2021
  • Meet all individual entry requirements
  • Be a self-funded student (i.e. not sponspored by an employer)
  • Register with Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) or Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS).
  • Agree to share consent via your Student Finance Provider with Northumbria University

*Eligible courses:

Important Information

Applicants should also note:

  • Students selected for the Northumbria Undergraduate Scholarship 2021 will not be eligible for any other Undergraduate scholarships
  • The Northumbria Undergraduate Scholarship is awarded as cash
  • Payments will be made as 25% of total in November 2021, 25% of total in February 2022 and 50% of total in May 2022
  • Funding is provided in the first year of study only
  • If you are undertaking a Foundation Year you are not eligible for the Northumbria Undergraduate Scholarship
  • If you are progressing from a Foundation Year studied at Northumbria or another institution, you are not eligible for the Northumbria Undergraduate Scholarship
  • If you defer your place at Northumbria University before the scholarship has been paid, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn
  • If you decide to leave your course after the scholarship payment has been made, the University will not make efforts to reclaim the amount
  • If you are required to resit your first year, the scholarship will not be paid again
  • The University's decision is final and cannot be challenged; there is no right of appeal


Selection Process

  • Eligible students will be notified by Friday 20 August 2021
  • If successful, the award of the scholarship will be made conditional upon you achieving the required grade threshold (at least 144 points or equivalent based on best three qualifications) before commencement of the course
  • If more than five students are eligible per subject area, we will look at the 10 best overall point scores and following this, the successful students will be chosen on the strength of their UCAS personal statement or if applicable, their portfolio, which will be assessed by the course academic
  • Successful students will be notified by Tuesday 07 September 2021 (may be subject to change)

Last updated: 02/09/2021

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
a bridge over a body of water

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Russell Hewitson
The Design for Planet Festival, organised by the Design Council, will take place at Northumbria University in November 2022.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Claire A Baker introduces The Red Thread exhibition. Image credit, Craig McCann McMillan.
Bluejackets sailor
Newcastle quayside cityscape at dusk
Two 'sister quilts' have been created in Newcastle and Instabul as part of the Embroidering Protection project.
More events

Upcoming events

Back to top